To help reduce your chance of getting a stroke, take the following steps:
- Exercise regularly
- Eat more fruits and vegetables and limit dietary salt and fat
- Stop smoking
- Drink alcohol only in moderation (1-2 drinks per day)
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Frequently check blood pressure and follow your doctor’s recommendations for keeping it in a safe range
- Take a low dose of aspirin (75 milligrams per day) if your doctor says it is safe
- Keep chronic medical conditions under control, including high cholesterol and diabetes
- Seek medical care if you have symptoms of a stroke, even if symptoms stop
- Stop the use of recreational drugs (cocaine, heroin, marijuana, amphetamines)
Take the stroke risk assessment from the American Heart Association.
Copyright © 2009 EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.