(Computed Tomography Colonography; Virtual Colonoscopy)
Reasons for Test
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Do not eat for 8-12 hours prior to the test.
- A bowel cleansing will be done with a laxative. The goal of the cleansing is to rid your colon of all stool. The laxative will cause you to have many bowel movements over several hours.
- If you have diabetes , talk to your doctor about adjusting your medicines.
Description of the Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Difficulty breathing
American College of Gastroenterology http://www.acg.gi.org
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
CT colonography. RadiologyInfo.org website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ct%5Fcolo. Updated June 5, 2012. Accessed March 1, 2013.
Fletcher RH. Colorectal cancer screening on stronger footing. NEJM . 2008;359:1285-1287.
Gore RM, Levine MS. Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology . 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company; 2000.
Johnson CD, et al. Accuracy of CT Colonography for Detection of Large Adenomas and Cancers. NEJM . 2008;359(12): 1207-1217.
Mulhall P, Veerappan GR, Jackson JL, et al. Meta-analysis: computed tomographic colonography. Ann Intern Med . 2005;142(8):635-650.
Yee J. Screening CT Colonography. Radiol Clin North Am . 2004;42(4):757-766.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 03/01/2013 -