Family-centered care for newborns with health challenges.
Having a baby is a natural process, but sometimes babies need a more advanced level of care than a well-baby nursery can provide.
Menorah Medical Center offers a level II neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). It's an intimate, family-centered environment next to the labor and delivery unit so that you can be close to your baby.
In our NICU, advanced equipment and technology support newborns with respiratory difficulties or other high-risk complications. The care team includes professionals with specialized education and training, such as:
- Neonatologists, pediatric doctors who are specially trained and experienced in caring for ill and premature infants
- Neonatal nurse practitioners with advanced degrees and training in caring for high-risk newborns
- Registered nurses experienced in neonatal intensive care
- Lactation consultants to help you and your baby with breastfeeding
- Respiratory therapists to help support babies with breathing difficulties
- A social worker to make sure you have the services and support you need while your baby is in the hospital and after you take your baby home
Our NICU can care for babies born at 32 weeks or later, and who have health issues requiring short-term treatment. If your baby needs a higher level of NICU care or surgical services, our neonatal transportation service has the medical equipment and trained staff to get your baby to one of our three level III NICUs safely. Level III NICUs are available at Centerpoint Medical Center, Overland Park Regional Medical Center, and Research Medical Center. If medically necessary, we can also transport mothers, so they can be near their babies while recovering