When the brain, spine or nervous system is injured or at risk, time is critical. So is access to advanced, specialized care from an experienced team. Count on the Midwest Neuroscience Institute at Menorah Medical Center, right here in Kansas City.
Disorders of the nervous system can affect your entire body and threaten your life or quality of life. Treatment and management is likely to involve many different healthcare providers and multiple specialties. The Midwest Neuroscience Institute draws from all the resources of Menorah Medical Center to meet your needs in a caring, supportive environment. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained neurologists, neurosurgeons and other specialists work together, and with you and your regular doctor, from diagnosis through treatment and rehabilitation.
Teamwork and Technology Dedicated to Your Total Care
You’ll have access to a multispecialty team — neurologists and neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists, physiatrists, advanced practice nurses, physician assistants and others. Our team meets regularly, in an open forum that fosters collaboration, to share expertise and insights on patient cases. We’ll create a treatment and management plan just for you, and make sure you have the support and resources you need at the hospital and after you go home.
Our respected team has access to the latest technology and specialized services, such as:
- The region's only CyberKnife® technology, a painless radiation treatment that can be an alternative to open surgery in many cases.
- The Neuroblate® System, a minimally invasive tool that uses MRI-guided technology to precisely target and ablate diseased cells in the brain, including some that may have traditionally been deemed "inoperable."
- Certified Primary Stroke Care Center by The Joint Commission, a distinction awarded for our comprehensive system for rapid diagnosis and treatment of stroke for patients admitted to the ER.
- The TrueBeam™ Linear Accelerator System, a leading-edge technology that delivers precisely targeted radiotherapy beams, resulting in quicker and more effective treatment.
Just as important, we understand the challenges you and your family could face now and in the future. We are here for you, and we can help you find the services, support and resources you need, here at Menorah Medical Center or in the community.
Conditions We Treat
Our Neurosciences physicians are highly-skilled at evaluating the following disorders:
- Alterations of consciousness
- Sleep disturbances
- Movement disorders/Deep Brain Stimulation
- Epilepsy and seizures
- Inpatient monitoring
- Surgical Vagus Nerve Stimulation
- Gait disorder
- Alzheimer's and other dementias
- Multiple Sclerosis/Spasticity
- Congential abnormalities
- Chihiri Malformation
- Tethered cord
Our surgeons are specialized in the following areas:
- Spinal disorders
- Epilepsy surgery
- Pain procedures
- Pituitary surgery
- Movement disorders and Spasticity
- Peripheral nerve disorders
- Cranial surgery
Specialized testing available:
- Electroencephalography (EEG) – routine and sleep deprived studies
- Inpatient continuous video EEG monitoring
- Electronystagmography (ENG) for dizziness
- Genetic testing (Neurophibromotosis)
- Ambulatory outpatient continuous EEG monitoring studies with video
- Electromyography (EMG)/Nerve Conduction Studies
- Polysomnography (sleep studies)
Talk to Your Doctor
In most cases, you’ll need a referral from your primary care physician to make an appointment at the Midwest Neuroscience Institute. Talk to your doctor about it, and once you have a referral, you can call (913) 498-7365.